Wednesday, 18 August 2010

At Last

IMG_7312 Peacock Butterfly

It’s taken a great deal of patience to see any butterflies in the garden this year. I don’t know if the bad weather last winter was too severe for the butterflies to survive. The number of flowers in the garden has been decimated. It’s mainly shrubs that have been lost. The result is that we’ve seen fewer bees, and as far as the butterflies go, there have been just a few cabbage whites, until I spotted this one. It stayed around to have its photo taken, then flew away. Normally, we see red admirals and there has been the odd fritillary. It would be nice to see them again.

Before winter arrives, it’s very tempting to cover the whole garden in gardener’s fleece, to protect it from the cold and frost. It would be nice to have some flowers again next year. For now, I’m thinking warm thoughts, as it really is still summer and I’ll have another look for butterflies tomorrow.

2 comments:

Admiral Hestorb said...

Polly how beautiful! LOVE the colors he has and the photo. Have you also posted to Flickr?

Polly said...

It isn't on flickr yet, could be soon